- COLDS NG warns the crew in time if lasers are aiming at the ship
- Warning against threats using laser which cannot be detected by other means, e.g. coming from ships, airborne platforms, coastal batteries
- Identification of type of laser threat
- Laser threat identification via user programmable threat library
- Prompt activation of countermeasures after warning by COLDS NG
- Essential supplement to existing sensors to attain entire ship self-defence capability
- COLDS NG can easily be integrated into any ship CMS.
Like aircraft and land vehicles, ships face increasingly threats from laser based weapon systems. In addition to laser range finders, e. g. connected with artillery, mainly laser target designators (LTD) are deployed for guiding ammunition. Especially ships in littoral warfare face those threats. Most of those threats cannot be detected at all or not in time by radar systems.
Facing the Challenge
To meet this threat Cassidan developed the Laser ESM/ECM System COLDS NG. COLDS NG is designed for naval applications. The system detects lasers from range finders and target designators with an excellent efficiency in all bearings. COLDS NG detects the scattered light from the laser beam, hence it is not required to be directly hit by the laser. Each COLDS NG sensor unit covers more than 180° in azimuth and 90° in elevation, therefore a full coverage of 360° in azimuth can be attained with only two resp. four sensor units installed on starboard and port side. The full system consists of one electronic unit and 2 or 4 sensor heads (depending on the size of the ship).