FORTECOR® TETRA Enhanced Data Service (TEDS)
The TETRA mission-critical data service you can trust
Fortecor® TEDS is Cassidian's implementation of TETRA Enhanced Data Service standard for high-speed, professional mobile radio communications. Solutions based on Fortecor TEDS are a new way to provide relevant, data-intensive information to the field without compromising security, privacy or confidentiality.
- TEDS is the data part of TETRA Release 2 standard
- Modulations: QAM 64/16/4
- Channel bandwidths: 25 kHz/50 kHz
- Multi-slot operation
- Short data services on TEDS bearers
- Full TETRA 1 backward compatibility
- TEDS Direct Access support
- A TEDS 50 kHz carrier provides better than 90 kbit/s throughput over more than 90% of the TETRA coverage area.
- TEDS can serve around 60 medium-heavy users from one base station
Benefits of Fortecor® TEDS
- Higher data speeds. TEDS will make it possible to introduce applications that require more bandwidth, such as video transmission.
- Wide-area coverage. High-speed data services can be available seamlessly throughout network coverage. This is a significant difference when comparing TEDS to any solution relying on limited local area (hot spot) coverage.
- Optimal cost. EADS' TB3 base stations only require a software upgrade to support high-speed data.
- More capacity. More important than speed alone are the capacity enhancements that TEDS brings. This means that access to applications can be offered to more users at a time.
- Compatible. Cassidian TETRA System and TB3 series base stations are ready for TEDS. They also continue to be fully compatible with
TETRA Release 1.
Fortecor® TEDS provides new data channels to the TETRA Air Interface. The information delivered over the air is coded more spectrum-efficiently and the TEDS traffic channels can be wider than in TETRA Release 1. Therefore, the available data throughput is significantly better.
In other words, TEDS is significantly faster than data services in TETRA Release 1, including Multi-Slot Packet Data. Data speeds of up to 100 kbit/s. This is fast enough for transmitting two-way live video. Furthermore, Fortecor® TEDS increases the capacity for Short Data Services (SDS) nearly 8 times compared to TETRA Release 1 Main Control Channel (MCCH)
TEDS has been designed so that high-speed data services can be offered over the same wide-area coverage that the TETRA network has.
- Same base stations and sites are used
- Same core network is used
- Same network management is used
- Same service provisioning works
- Same base station antennas can be used – Fortecor® TEDS can also be deployed within the same frequency allocations as existing TETRA in the 380 and 410 MHz frequency bands. This means that the same base station antennas can be used.